Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Silent Gypsy Jewelry






“I admit it’s tempting to wish for the perfect boss, the perfect parent- or the perfect outfit. But maybe the best any of us can do is not quit, play the hand we’ve been dealt, and accessorize what we’ve got.”- Carrie Bradshaw

It was an evening sometimes in late spring. I found myself in a posh restaurant somewhere in midtown with a friend of mine who is also a jewelry designer. We were there to discuss about her new collection, but to me it was a night of style philosophy talk.

You see, I was one of those kids that prematurely matured. My life was decked out with the pressure of making into varsity team in sports, a seat in student body government, getting into a good college, an impeccable internship, and the list goes on. My conservative surrounding did not help either, as if I wore a uniform even when I was not in school. When finally I reached to college, the circumstance around my apparel did not change. Although my closet was considered as amalgamate of styles, I still found myself limited.

Throughout these vicious cycles there was only one solution that I overlooked for quite sometime: accessory. It dawned on me that there was a reason why I made an impression to my college admission interviewer, to my peers during school vice presidential candidacy, or just some flirt interests in social events. Despite my reserved attitude, and conservative attire, my accessory always salvages me from turning into the invisible one.

That night, while I was reviewing my friend’s new collection I understood something. An accessory such as jewelry is an extension of who you are. Just like the essence of time, it can be use destructively or constructively. Of course most people would rather choose the latter than the former but even something that looks so raw, so undetermined, can have people besotted in the first sight. To me that is what Silent Gypsy Jewelry all about.

Monika Malkowski is a New England born jewelry designer who is very talented at what she does. “It’s very industrial, hipsterish” said Malkowski about her new collection. I am enchanted on how her line works. They layers very well, and works together. Each piece is composed of variety of metals, structures that make it very unique and not very easy to read or understand but nonetheless beautiful. Although it can be a process to comprehend the piece, the interesting part is that it conjures something in you that make you instantly know something bout it. I figured it works the same way with antiques- except her line works with both contemporary and classic perspectives.

With her experience in working for two other jewelers in the past three years she decided to break out on her own. “My jewelry is affordable, as a girl in my mid 20’s I can’t afford $200 necklace just to play”. Regardless of the price, the quality and the style are very satisfying and unforgettable. Even during NYSH July editorial photo shoot, one of the models decided to buy a piece on the spot. That symbolizes the affordability and the captivation of Silent Gypsy Jewelry.

Silent Gypsy Jewelry can be visited at www.silentgypsyjewelry.com
Photos courtesy of www.silentgypsyjewelry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment