Monday, July 20, 2009

Lost Angel



If you found yourself roaming the streets of Los Angeles and wonder if everyone there is as superficial as what you have heard about the myth, well you’re wrong. The truth is that everywhere you go there are all kinds of people, and you will find the kinds that you want to find-or you could be surprised-. A close friend of mine from LA is someone who I think is the embodiment of what LA is all about- the free spirit, the long beautiful sandy blonde hair, the bohemian influenced style- yet also the antithesis. As in, she is not obsessed with pop culture, or pursuit of riches and fames. Tatjana McElroy is a model, singer, student and a writer. Growing up in Germany, she relocated to Los Angeles in her early years.

I still remember the first time we met two years ago she had on a loose white blouse and no make up on, yet her presence engaged everyone around her. There was this warmth aura about her, yet slightly intimidating. She had the look of a high fashion runway model but there was nothing mannequin about it. “I’m sorry, I don’t know who you are but you are so Chloé”, I made my remark. “Excuse me?” She replied with a slight perplexed expression. “I don’t know, when I saw you I feel like you belong in a campaign, specifically Chloé,” I replied. Let’s just say since that moment we became really close. Later she confessed to me that it was almost eerie I made that comment because Chloé is her favorite fashion house, and in fact her most prized possession is a pair of brown leather heels from the luxury prêt-a-porter brand.

While gracing cover or pages of magazines (Teen Vogue included), Tatjana still managed her studies (she conducted home school study) and pursuit her other talents in acting and in music. In fact, post high school she took a year off before attending Bard University in New York to go to Germany so she could immerse herself in her roots. After being back in LA, she pursuit her music further. I was not familiar with this side of her until my recent march 2009 visit to LA. “Check this out, tell me if you like it or not,” she handed me her Macbook and played a music. At first I thought it was Regina Spektor, or Kate Nash (Don’t reproach my inability to identify songs) but to my dismay I was wrong. Nonetheless I was impressed to discover it was Tatjana. Later that day we performed a free-style song with her playing the piano and I sang, well at least I attempted to.

Whether we are looking at her modeling portfolio, listening to her music, or observing her style, I think it is fair to surmise that there is something so random but structured and beautiful about her expression. It almost appears that she gives a sense of being lost, in a good way. Maybe it’s her curiosity, her freedom to explore, or just simply seeing her in elegant Missoni dress while driving like a typical New York taxi driver in the streets of LA.

Pictures Courtesy of Tatjana McElroy

No comments:

Post a Comment